Saturday, January 30, 2010

Traveling makes You Feel Like You Are a Child

I have been on many trips with my family and I have always felt as if it was a reward for my accomplishments. As a coach I learned that people should take a small trip at least two times a month. When I went to Mexico as a teenager I felt as though I was entering an entirely different culture - and I did! It was very relaxed feeling and they have so many nice markets and such a variety of different artistic towns. People are very much down to earth and they are very crafty.

When I visited the Carribean I again felt like a child. We were given a challenge to use a jeep type vehicle and locate various places on a map and once at the destination we picked up another clue as to where we needed to go next. I guess the first couple back won a prize. Many people had flat tires on the dusty roads. It was just like being a teenager again.

We have traveled many times to Hawaii at different islands. We enjoyed Kawaii the most. It is the most primitive island I have been on. We tried to sleep on the beach but the huge noise of the waves kept us awake. I enjoyed Maui as well. The killer whales we saw during February were very intersting - They appeared to be a large as some of the yaghts. It is a very fragrant island that has many tropical gardens and wonderful smells.

I have travelled most of my life because I am an explorer and enjoy meeting a variety of people. I have lived in about 15 states and have travelled throughout the U.S. by car and bus. As I said I went to Mexico and decided that I would go back there again. I went to Graduate School in Arizona and we had own honeymoon in Baja Mexico.

Being an archaeologist has toughened me to withstand many types of weather and different elements as well. Most women who work in offices have no idea how difficult it is to be an archaeologist. However I still enjoy working outdoors even after having met up with a variety of animals by myself.

When I worked in the Klamath National Forest I enjoyed being a small player under these huge redwood and pine and Douglas fir trees. I worked by myself the first year and it felt as though I was not accomplishing enough since the acreage I had to cover was huge. But being among the trees in the forest made me think that I was just like an ant. The biomass is so amazing in Nothern California. This is where I decided to have a strategy for surveying in dense forests and I made this quest my Master's thesis.

No comments: