Friday, January 29, 2010

How to Be Prepared for a Long Hike

As an archaeologist I have supervised numerous crews in fieldwork, both excvations and surveys. I have trained people from cities who have had no expience in hiking outdoors. They had to bring sturdy hiking boots when we walked for over eight hours. They also had to prepare their lunch as well as carry about a half gallon of water since we worked in the forests and deserts. Another essential is to wear layered clothing since you never know how the weather may change - and it does change rapidly in this county. I suggest that you bring a light weight cotton shirt during the summer, as well as sunscreen and a hat for protection from the sun. It is important to know where you are walking and bring a map of the territory or a topographic map.

It is very important to either know the territory where you are walking if you go by yourself or to preferably bring a friend. By bringing a map you are less likely to get lost. If you are a little unsteady with your feet it is essential to bring a walking stick. And if the weather looks as if it may rain you should also carry a raincoat in your back pack. If you come on one of my hikes please remember to bring a remedy for poison oak as it is unpleasant to have. You may also want to bring something to protect you from ticks - I like to use tea tree oil around my ankles and my neck.

On my hikes I have experienced some people that have tripped and fallen. So I recommend bringing some band aides as well as guaze. We usually go to Bishop's Ranch where there are well groomed trails and we stick together in a pack so no one gets lost.

I have been in the field for years and even with maps and compasses we have gotten off course at times. It is important to follow a leader and be respectful of him or her. Children on my hikes ask all kinds of questions and I try to answer them the best way I can. We tell each other our stories and I give them interesting lessons from nature.

I take people on hikes if it is sprinkling out - however if it is pouring we select another day. If you wish just bring an unbrella and carry it along the trail. I bring large plastic bags for us to sit upon at various stations and relax for lunch. We enjoy our group of community and share our knowledge of environmental
issues as well as information about natural history.

My recomendation is to walk about 3 miles per day in order to maintain your stamina. My hikes can be uniquely designed for slow walkers or for those who want to get more exercise than learn more about Native Americans and their ethnobotany. I can also have groups tellme what they are most interested in and I play it by ear and focus on the information they want to know.

In all cases we have fun and enjoy our ecoadventures!

No comments: