Sunday, January 10, 2010

My Family's History

My Dad got his Master's in Psychology and he enlisted in the Navy for about 2 - 3 years. His brother, Vernon, had a large store in Troy,Ohio when I was born. They sold harnesses, western boots, shirts, and various types of children's wear.

My uncle Vernon got his Phd in child psychology and he worked back east as a professor at Bowdoin College in Maine as well as in the Navy at a job with airplane instruments. Since my father passed away when I was sixteen, my uncle became our father image. After their store was closed, my father and uncle had their own businesses in sales. My father sold shoes, vitamins, and watkins products. My uncle sold children's toys to a wide variety of markets in the Dayton area. They made an adequate living in their sales jobs and enjoyed them. My mom met my father in Milwaukee at the YMCA. They both were health food nuts - and I learned how to cook and bake at an early age.

My Mom was working in her twnties at a furniture store. She went through High School and had some acting lessons at one time. She was in plays and on a TV show. She worked st my Dad's store as a bookkeeper. She also worked for the Bureau of Entomology in Milwaukee as a secretary. This agency dealt with tree diseases from pests. She became a secretary and worked for government agencies after raising us.
She worked at the IRS, as a County clerk, and at Wright Patterson AFB. She was an excellent cook and many of her recipes were passed down from her mother. Our family enjoyed playing tennis, going to historical sites, and camping in a trailer.

My brother Fred studied biology in college and decided to go into medicine. He studied at various colleges and universities including Stanford. He got his MD and PhD from Case Western Preserve. He completed various internships from various schools, and landed a job at the NIH.

No comments: