Monday, November 16, 2009

SPRING LAKE HIKE LAST WEEKEND

Last weekend I visited Spring Lake where I saw many people walking their dogs and there was a parade of a variety of dogs. Some people walked two or three dogs at a time. There were a variety of Siberian Huskies, German Shepards, Pugs, Collies, Australian Sheepdogs, Terriers, Chihuahuas, and large Poodles. I felt as if I was at a Dog Show! I guess it was the right temperature and the right day -- everyone was having a good time. One girl had a small terrier that pulled her as she skated on roller blades!

Some Chinese folks were trying to catch some bass or trout - but I saw no fish on their hooks. It was a sunny and warm day. There were geese and their gosslings had matured into older geese (smaller than the adults). I spotted a white heron and the air had some smoke near the campground. We noted the smell of a skunk as well!

I hiked 6 miles which is two times around the lake. I helped plan the Visitor's Center at Spring Lake in the 80's. Many people that I spoke to had never been there.

I convinced the park planner in the 80's to include a storyteller's cavern (made out of basalt). There were about 6 volunteers who spent about 10 hours a week to help plan the visitor's center. We traveled to another Coyote museum south of Oakland to see how they planned their exhibits and did research. we learned from that trip that we wanted the center to blend into the landscape of spring lake. we also included an outdoor amphitheater.

No comments: